13 June 2006

Process Over Product

I said artists are more committed to the process of how to build than they are attached to the product of any particular building.

I learned this from one of my art teachers in Chicago when he asked if he could have two or three of my pieces to put on display during the summer.

I was very happy about this since our teachers hung the best work in the big glass cases lining the hallways.

When I returned in the fall, I went to my teacher to collect my drawings and paintings.

My teacher looked everywhere but could not find my work.

He explained that when he removed the work from the cases, he had put the whole stack on top of the cupboard.

He guessed the cleaning lady must have thrown them out a few weeks earlier.

I was so disappointed. These had been favorite pieces that I was proud of.

They showed what I was capable of and how I had progressed over the year.

As I listened and looked at him blurrily through small tears, he took a stoic face.

He raised his eyebrows and said, "You'll just have to make some more."

I remember the strange experience of being hurt at his lack of carefulness and compassion, while simultaneously realizing that he was absolutely right.

This was what it was really all about. There are no guarantees in life.

It's not wise to try to hold on tightly to the things we have to let go of.

The buildings are temporary. But it's always possible to build.

Even when the things we build get knocked down, we can start to build again or build in a new way.

I would like to build something that could last a long time, but there is no way for me to know if that is what will happen.

Technorati tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home