21 August 2007

Kept

My friend Ella had dinner at my house last week and asked for tips on getting rid of things. She said, "You have no clutter in your house."

I told her that I love to throw things away, but I'm also someone who's kept just about every letter (on paper) or card I've ever received. My silverware belonged to my great grandmother. My pencil holder was given to me 18 years ago by my best friend in college. My candle stick holders were made by my grandfather. And some of my favorite pieces of clothing I've had for over 10 years.

There is a poem by Lucille Clifton sticking out of the picture frame of our family photo we had taken last year. If I'm allowed to quote it, it follows:
Things don't fall apart.
Things hold. Lines connect
in thin ways that last and
last and lives become
generations made out of
pictures and words just kept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home