13 March 2006

Microsoft's One Device

Microsoft is working on making me happy too!

They are creating an ultra-mobile PC (UMPC) called Origami with the slogan, "Go everywhere! Do everything!"

My friend, Isaac, is not excited about this ... but it sounds just like what I want!

This device is meant to bridge the gap between a personal digital assistant and a notebook computer.

It weighs less than two pounds and has a 7-inch screen.

It has built-in WiFi and Bluetooth and offers full Microsoft Windows XP functionality.

Cynthia Brumfield, president of the consulting group, Emerging Media Dynamics, says that "... the enterprise market is ready for a portable media device with a big screen that can serve as a computer."

Yes Cynthia!

I'm ready for the 'one device' that will facilitate my 'get-up-and-go-in-the-global-village'!

I can even have 'movies on the move'! Critics point out that the UMPC's biggest shortcoming is its three-hour battery life, which is a quarter of Apple's iPod and a lot less than high-end smartphones that check e-mail and display office documents.

OK, I could use a couple more hours of battery life, but then again, the urban jungle has electrical outlets all over the place.

I don't mind doing a dance between plugged and unplugged.

They also say that the UMPC runs a "modified version of Microsoft's Windows XP operating system".

I don't know what the consequences of a 'modified version' are.

Another analyst, Ashok Kumar, from Raymond James, says that the new devices need to have cellular connectivity, not just Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

I agree! The 'one device' needs to be my phone too!

A technology strategist, Pip Coburn, from Coburn Ventures, a New York-based investment advisory firm, says, "This is yet another failed attempt to jam everything into one device. The way I see it, they don't really know what they want it to be."

Pip! I know what they're trying to do!

Urban nomads like me want it to be everything!

I WANT THEM TO JAM EVERYTHING INTO ONE DEVICE!

Please don't discourage them!

Oh, and I would also like an infrared collapsible keyboard to go with it.

But if it doesn't work out, I also really like the cute chic Sony VAIO BX Series Notebook.

And here's how I'm going to connect:

Technorati tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home