27 June 2006

Contradiction

Maybe I got the context wrong?

My friend Steven says,
"I do not exactly recognize my experience in this, because seeing the same tree over and over while hiking equals getting lost for me. The same undercurrent gives me quiet and peace, and the reassurance that there is actually only one way we have to follow without having to worry what it should look like."
I associated recognizing familiar undercurrents with getting lost.

The first recognition gives a feeling of quiet and peace while the second gives a feeling of uneasiness and uncertainty.

Maybe I incorrectly make the connection because I like the concept of introducing uncertainty.

I like Aristotle's concept of Aporia, that a good argument will give you confusion because confusion leads to reflection.

I like paths that lead to reflection.

I like the idea of getting a bit lost while curiously and genuinely setting out to explore unknown territory.

For these reasons, the moment of seeing the same tree again brings a twinge of delight.

When I'm a bit lost, I get curious and think, "OK. I wonder what happens next?"

My interpretation of the re-occurring house dream is that it parallels my 'explorer' approach to life. I feel sheltered.

So long as I'm carrying the things I really want with me, I'm prepared.

I'm still wondering about the difference between the cycles of the seasons and the circles of the lost hikers.

On the one hand, because I think I can experience both peace and uncertainty at the same time, I like certain aspects of the lost hikers in terms of a logo:
  • No matter how disoriented I feel, it's OK. Getting lost is not the same experience as falling off a cliff or getting eaten by a bear.

  • I am only temporarily lost. I have a good chance of figuring out how to leave the circle.

  • Circling the same path is like a meditation. I get a chance to reflect on things and when I'm done, I leave the circle.
On the other hand, I don't always like the seasons as a metaphor:
  • There's only one path we have to follow because there is no other path.

  • The earth will always be round. The day will always follow night. We'll always have the seasons.

  • The greatest minds could reflect on the most intriguing issues, but no one's ever leaving that circle. It's terribly claustrophobic.
Technorati tag:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a story (surprise!).

When my younger brother was getting married, my mother, niece (about 6 years old) and I were driving to the church in middle of downtown Dallas for the rehearsal on the night before the wedding. I was driving and could not find the church. We were "driving around in circles" in the middle of the city and the surrounding area (not the best locations in Dallas). In the front seat, my mother and I kept saying that we were lost and that we should stop to ask directions. Which we did, then found ourselves lost again, and having the same conversation. After about 45 minutes of repeating this, I saw in the rearview mirror that my little niece had become very quiet and worried. Realizing that she did not grow up near the city and may never have been downtown, I pulled the car over to the side of the road and explained, "Kathryn, there are two kinds of lost. One 'lost' is when you are lost and don't have any idea where you are. The other 'lost' is when you cannot find where you want to go. In the second lost, you can always give up looking and easily find your way home." Then I said, "Grandma, you and I are the second kind of lost. I can always get us home whenever I want." She was started to smile again and even laughed with us when we still couldn't find the church. Which, by the way, we never did find that night. So, the rehearsal was kind of a bust given that the best man, mother of the groom and flower girl were not there to rehearse.

Bill

Wednesday, 28 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home