01 June 2006

Do Nomads Have Books?

During my first nomadic venture, one of the most difficult life-style issues, that I never did resolve was, what do I do with my books?

I seemed to be able to streamline all of my possessions except my books.

I considered dividing them up by category and sheltering them with friends.

Should my cooking books stay with Kate, who loves to cook, and never makes the same meal twice?

Would Nienke, an art school friend, take my art books?

Could I house my biographies with Mary, a storyteller?

I thought this might work as a symbiotic relationship.

My friends could enjoy my books while I could have visitation rights.

I experimented with audible.com, but I didn't know how to highlight special audio passages for future reference.

I'm still considering this.

Google has been working on scanning in all of the world's books to create a universal library.

'All the world's books at my fingertips' would mean that I could easily find back all of my favorite passages on an iPod.

But what about the experience of reading a book for the first time? Do I want to read a book on my laptop?

If these screens (version one & version two) provide a better reading experience, could I write notes in the margins?

I can't yet work out all of the details on how to be a nomad with books, but I still think there might be a way.

Perhaps this is why MUSIC is the Nomad's seed. It's much easier to move around with music.

--> UPDATE: Just saw the the Sony Reader advertised.

Technorati tag:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Metz said...

From Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/515726//102-3565609-9538534

e-Books & e-Documents

There are lots of advantages to reading e-books and e-docs:

* Selection: In addition to the millions of bestselling printed books, Amazon.com has many documents that are only available in electronic form.
* Fast delivery: You can buy and start reading an e-doc or e-book today, without having to wait for the book to be shipped to you.
* Price: Many e-books are priced below the print versions.
* Convenience: The Microsoft and Adobe readers offer handy features like highlighting and search. And most hardware platforms have backlit screens, so you can read in the dark without bothering anybody else.
* Eco-friendly: Help save our natural resources. It takes exactly 0 trees to make an e-book.
* Portability: You can fit 8-10 of them in the average PalmOS or Pocket PC handheld, and an enormous number in your average laptop.

Are there any disadvantages? Well, printed books are pretty easy to use. E-books are a little less so, at least at first, because there are a variety of new ideas that readers of e-books and e-docs need to understand. To avoid the typical pitfalls and points of confusion, it's very important that you read the software manual for the Adobe Reader or Microsoft Reader.

We also strongly recommend that you click the supplementary "e-Books & e-Documents" links on this page to learn more about terminology, the process of buying e-books and e-docs, and the answers to common questions and technical problems.

Wednesday, 05 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home